The dream of a parish school came true when St. Patrick’s School was opened on September 5, 1950. The school was purchased from the Council Bluffs public school system. The building that St. Patrick’s purchased was formally known as the Oak Street School. The public school system had just completed construction of Hoover Elementary only a few blocks away where public school children would attend. St. Patrick’s opened its school offering classes the first year for grades 1-5. A total of 52 pupils were enrolled the first year. The school eventually opened classes for students of grades kindergarten through 8th grade. St. Patrick’s School became one of five parish schools in Council Bluffs. The other parish schools at the time were St. Peter’s, St. Francis, Queen of Apostles, and Holy Family. St. Patrick’s school was led and taught by the Sister’s of Mercy. Sister Paula Radosevich who was principal, started the school with Sister Doloretta Rinehart. For daily Mass, the students would walk from the school (located where the Pizza King now sits) to St. Patrick’s Church. During the 1950’s the Church hall was also used for students to put on plays. A stage once stood where the current deli table is located. Plays and other social activities that the students partook in also were held in the church hall. Because the school only went to the 8th grade, students for grades 9-12 were either sent to public schools or attended St. Francis’ High School, or Mt. Loretto’s all girls boarding school.
In 1952, Msgr. Costello at the age of 69 died suddenly of a heart attack on a return voyage from Ireland. Msgr. Thomas J. Moriarty was assigned to continue the pastoral duties at St. Patrick’s Church. By the time Msgr. Moriarty became the pastoral leader at St. Patrick’s, the parish had grown to 287 families. Msgr. Moriarty was born in Fall River, Massachusetts, on July 20, 1899. He was ordained in 1925 and elevated to Monsignor in 1959. He retired and left St. Patrick’s in 1969. Moriarty was also a co-founder of the St. Albert school system and a World War I veteran. He also became Chaplain for the American Legion in 1946.
Our Lady of Grace statue which stands in front of the church rectory was constructed in 1954. The statue was commissioned after an anonymous donor gave funds for its construction. Fr. James J. Hannan, S.J. designed and built the shrine to Mary the Mother of God. Fr. Hannan was a Jesuit priest well known in the Midwest for the shrines that he built and dedicated to Mary. He never signed any of his works. His requirement for payment while building statutes, aside from materials, was three meals a day and a place to sleep. Several of his shrines stand in Council Bluffs including Mercy Hospital, St. Bernards, St. Francis Convent, St. Patrick’s, St. Peter’s, St. Joseph Cemetery, and one for Mrs. E.R. McDonnell. The last shrine Fr. Hannan built was in 1969 at the age of 85 two years before his death. Fr. Hannan’s sister, Mrs. Anna Miles Scofield, was a long time member of St. Patrick’s parish.
Fr. Patrick Bacon the first associate pastor on record at St. Patrick’s Church served between June and September 1959.
